Research Institute for Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation
Research Institute for Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation with a total floor space of 4,800 square meters is based at Shariati Hospital affiliated with Tehran University of Medical Sciences. The mission of the Research Institute, identified as Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation Research Center in the first two decades of operation, is to provide educational, clinical and research opportunities for malignant and non-malignant hematologic disorders, solid tumors and stem cell transplantation.
The Hematology, Oncology and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Center was established in 1990. From the late 2011, the Research center has been identified as the Research Institute for Hematology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation following the expansion of the wards, development of scientific products and training specialists. Significant figures, especially Prof. Ardeshir Ghavamzadeh and relevant institutions including Parliament, the Board of Trustees of Foreign Exchange Savings, Tehran University of Medical Sciences and Presidential Institution took the necessary steps to develop the medical facility contained bed space for only 4 patients in 1975 and jointly supervised by other Internal Medicine Wards.
- Education: Up till now, the Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Program has graduated more than 200 fellows, all of whom remain on active duty serving patients nationwide affected by malignant / non-malignant hematologic disorders, solid tumors and those patients are in need of stem cell transplantation in accordance with reasonable medical standards. The center also develops educational curriculum and train PhD students, pediatric hematology/oncology fellows, medical students, residents in internal medicine, undergraduate and graduate basic science students.
- Research: To enhance the applied and basic research on cancers, hematologic disorders and stem cell transplantation, to hold conferences at the national, regional and international levels, to prepare bulletin and publish of papers in domestic and international magazines.
- Treatment: The Research Institute with more than 5000 transplants including mesenchymal stem cell transplantation, autologous and allogeneic HSCT from related and unrelated donors or haploidentical and umbilical cord blood transplantation is among the world's largest centers. The BMT program performs more than 430 marrow transplants each year for the treatment of malignant hematologic diseases in adults and pediatrics.
- Development of diagnostic measures: Today, well-equipped and highly professional laboratories have been established in the country for diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients, benign hematologic disease, malignant hematologic disease and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- To publish a magazine under the title of "International Journal Hematology-Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation" every three months. This journal is indexed in PubMed.
- To develop and enhance inter –and intra- cooperation in education and research